Are you struggling to relate to someone with a disability, mental health issue or other life difficulty? Do you need strategies, better coping skills or support? Then this free counselling is available for you.
I am funded through Carers NSW to see clients for 6 Sessions of free counselling. My way of working is client centred and strengths based. I am passionate about working with carers which I have been doing for 7 years of the 17 years I have been counselling.
A Carer is defined broadly:
- It could be a friend, neighbour or relative that someone is caring for, a child, a parent, a partner etc
- The CARER does NOT have to be on a Carers Benefit to receive this counselling
- The CAREE might be someone with asthma, or ADHD, mental health issues, mild Asperger’s through to Autism, people who are in wheelchairs, a child or adult who has chronic illnesses that are mild or serious, but which are impacting on the carer.
- The definition of CARER is very broad and there does not need to be any paperwork to “prove” that it is “proper caring”; it is a kind and respectful definition.
The counselling focuses on the caring role, as it expresses itself in:
- Finding balance in life within the limits of the situation
- Setting boundaries /assertiveness
- Family dynamics
- Grief and loss, anger
- Couple counselling
- Working through a decision to end a marriage/ co-parenting plans
- Communication and parenting skills
- Finding hope, new strategies and skills
- Referral to other agencies and supports
All Carers NSW counsellors are fully registered with PACFA, meeting national standards as senior practitioners and all undertake specific training in working with carers.